...A journey into the wonderfully illogical life of parenting a toddler and a preemie...

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"I'm a bad parent" syndrome

Do you ever hear other parents talk, or read something in a book, or see something on tv that makes you think you're a bad parent?  I do!  My children are not enrolled in music, dance or baby sign language classes.  We do let them watch TV (although Hope has no interest in cartoons and Grace is too young to care).  I don't make sure they get outside every day, rain or shine.  I don't spend hours teaching Hope her colours, numbers, or how to read.  I don't read them the bible every day, or even remember to pray with them before meals all the time.  Do you think that makes me a bad parent?  Sometimes I do.  Sometimes I feel guilty about it. 

Then I remember what makes a 'good' parent, and it's not the things I listed above.

Being a good parents means loving your children.  Responding with kindness, not anger.  It means praying for your children every day.  It means understanding their personalities and loving them as individuals with likes and dislikes.  It means taking the time to play with your children, and allowing them the time to play. 

So I'm not perfect, and I'll never claim to be, but when it comes to doing the things that count, I think I'm doing okay. 

I'm not a bad parent.  And either are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment